“My name is Paul Ledroit. I am a lawyer and very skeptical of alternative medicine.... Read more
How to Reduce Your Heart Disease Risk
The good news is that cardiovascular disease is largely preventable with healthy lifestyle changes. Simple steps that you can take to reduce your risk of developing heart disease and to keep your heart healthy and strong are:
- Quit smoking.
- Lose weight and maintain a healthy weight. Cut back on foods high in saturated fat, trans-fats and cholesterol. Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and grains.
- Control cholesterol. Get it checked.
- Control high blood pressure.
- If you have diabetes, monitor and control your blood sugar levels.
- Reduce stress.
- Oral contraceptives. If you are over 40 and have other heart disease risk factors, you may want to reconsider your use of birth control pills.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine or TCM, the heart corresponds to the emotion of joy. Regular expressions of joy and creativity are important for a healthy and functioning heart. TCM, which includes acupuncture and Chinese herbs, can be incorporated into your steps toward reducing your cardiovascular disease risk factors.
Acupuncture and herbs can help with stopping smoking (through our Acuquit program), control your blood pressure and cholesterol levels and lower stress.
Better lifestyle habits will aid you in reducing your risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Change isn't always easy, but with support from your health care practitioner, family and friends, you can introduce healthy habits into your daily routine. Before you know it, you'll be that much closer to having a healthy heart and body.